Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Ow!

Well I got the courage to go to my gynecology appointment and have my coil (IUD) replaced. 5 years with no periods and no symptoms of PCoS has been utter bliss. Before I had it fitted, every month I suffered stupidly heavy flows, a lot of pain and very bad mood swings. In addition every few months I would also get a week or so of hyper-anxiety. I would be at full tilt the whole time, my mind racing, couldn't relax, couldn't sleep unless I was utterly exhausted. It seemed odd that these happened after particularly bad periods. Anyway, after a bit of investigation (and that is another story in itself), I was diagnosed with PCoS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome). My hormones were completely out of whack and that is what was causing these hyper-anxiety episodes. They decided to treat it with a Mirena Coil (a progesterone releasing coil) and since it was fitted I haven't had an episode again. Nor a period... woohooo!

It was very quick this time and it hurt quite a bit but it was worth it and is over fast. The weirdest part is going from a bit of discomfort with the speculum in to full on period pains in 5 seconds flat. After 5 years of not feeling that it was a bit of a shock ;) Anyway, is all done and I can forget about it for another 5 years! I'll tell the story of when it was first put in another time, was still a very surreal experience!

My friend Lynda came with me and was a trooper, squeezing my hand when I needed it badly... and reminding me to breath lol. *huge hugs* to her and a lot of thanks :)

*hugs*

No comments: